Flavor of The Week: Oceans of Slumber


Houston based female fronted progressive metal band Oceans of Slumber formed in 2011. OoS was started by drummer Dobber Beverly who was in-between musical projects before forming the band and seeking a vocalist who fit in with the type of music the band aimed to produce, "...She was honestly the piece of the puzzle we were missing all along, " Beverly raves. "From the beginning of the band I've wanted it to be female fronted. I wanted the dynamics, the delicacy, and the rage only a woman's voice can offer."

The band's leading lady is the beautiful siren Cammie Gilbert who has a lovely blues based vocal range and depth. The band gained a lot of buzz with their really lovely cover of the candlemas song 'Solitude'.

My only criticism of this band is that I don't quite think of them as a progressive metal band (like in the way of Opeth or Dream Theatre). Their sound is more in line with Alt. Metal in my opinion. If you like Alice in Chains, Evanescence, or Skunk Anansie-this group may be for you.

OoS are definitely a group to look out for as they gain more positive press and attention throughout the metal scene and I'm interested to see how far they will go.

Oos are signed to Century Media Records and currently have four albums out at the moment, their latest The Banished Heart out this year.

Here are some songs I think best represent their sound:

The Banished Heart (2018)
No Color, No Light (2018)
Winter (2015)

Yay or Nay? I want your opinion.


Comments

Kath said…
Thanks! If you want, you should check out a female fronted band named Triosphere, where the singer has a great voice.

It looks like you have not been here in a while, but I decided to follow you and hope for you to show up one day :) ( If my writing is a bit strange, it’s because of the lack of practicing english the last decennials ;) )

I am currently writing a somewhat strange « Mostly metal and other kinds of music based - cupcakefree lifestyle, with no pressure of having nice Interior - blog» and I will be happy for a visit. There are wery few female metalheads, around here, and I think one of the reasons I started my blog, was that I dont get to talk about music, as much as I want.

https://grandmothernorth.blogspot.com/

Popular Posts