Recommended Reading:Enchantress From The Stars

If you like to read, raise your hand!

Anyways, so just like the Flavor of The Week, I think I'm going to start a Recommended Reading entry every now and then. Who doesn't like books? I'd hope anyone who reads this gives me some recommendations too especially if its related to whatever book I'm trying to sell you.

I recently bought this novel called Enchantress From The Stars written by Sylvia Louise Engdahl (Don't be deceived by the name). It's a frame story told from three perspectives that are in first person: Elana, a member of an interstellar civilization on a mission to a medieval planet, becomes the key to a dangerous plan to turn back an invasion. How can she help the Andrecians, who still believe in magic and superstition, without revealing her own alien powers? At the same time, Georyn, the son of an Andrecian woodcutter, knows only that there is a dragon in the enchanted forest, and he must defeat it (Thank you Amazon.com. I'm terrible at describing things).


The Dragon is the machine used by the planet that is colonizing the medieval one but they think its a Dragon because they don't know any better. Jarel (the third character) is a medic of the colonizing planet who is fighting with his own moral conscience about whether what they are doing is ethical and Elana is trying to help the primitive planet by posing as a 'witch' who gives them mystical weapons-which are really advanced technological tools-to slay the dragon but it ends up being this tragic love story.


So it has action for the boys and drama for the girls. I highly recommend this.


It evokes questions about the responsibilities of more advanced societies toward primitive ones, about the ability of individuals to grow and to make a difference in their world, and about the many possibilities the universe may hold.


It's rad. Read it. I most likely did not do it justice with such a terrible summary.


Comments

Cool!

I would like to recommend The Snake by Odie Hawkins. It's about a dude who makes a deal with a wizard that goes beyond just his soul!

Stop by! And I'll be back!
Jaycee

Popular Posts